Six months ago, Dan Reddington suddenly developed rashes when he watched television or sat in front of his computer. The 75-year-old pensioner from Broadway, Worcestershire claims he is allergic to electricity, yet it is not even officially recognized as a medical condition.

It’s not just the TV or computer that makes his allergy flare up. Dan has to stay away from any electrical appliance to keep rashes from breaking out.

“It goes bright red like a sunburn – it makes my whole body feel hot,” Reddington told the Daily Mail.

“It’s not painful as such, but it’s really annoying and leaves me sweating – my face has a permanent pink tinge now,” he describes the flare ups.

The British pensioner also avoids electrical stores because even the act of turning on the central heater triggers a red rash breakout.

If he really wants to watch TV, then he dons a welder’s mask or a face mask lined with foil or a t-shirt cut with two eye holes draped over his head.

While this bizarre outfits help protect him, there is really nothing that stops the allergic flare ups.

The first time Reddington experienced an attack, his body became very sensitive to electricity until he felt it rush up to his head each time he was near an electric appliance.

The allergic reaction has reportedly confused local doctors since hypersensitivity to electricity is not an officially recognized condition.

The septuagenarian, however, has his own theory about the sensitivity. Reddington believes it is a result of overexposure to technology. And he’s predicting it will get worse for future generations, who are always in front of their computers or using cell phones.

He previously ran a mail order business that required him to sit in front of a computer 6 to 8 hours daily. And all that exposure to electricity built up over time and is paying the price through the breakouts.

Until the condition is officially tagged a medical condition, there is no hope for a cure. Reddington simply stays away from electrically-powered devices, a task much easier said than done.

“I’ve had to change my lifestyle completely to try and cope with it,” he said. He added that he will continue to take precautionary measures like wearing a mask, sitting the furthest from the TV, or splashing cold water onto his face.

The World Health Organization describes Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity (EHS) as having real symptoms that vary in severity and manifestations depending on the individual at risk for it. EHS is not a medical diagnosis or representative of a medical problem, but can be disabling to an individual.

In the United Kingdom, some 3 million believe they are affected with some type of electricity sensitivity emitted from phones to light bulbs. MIMS

Read more:

Man injured as phone explodes while charging
Electrocution makes people more creative
Electroacupuncture reduces pain during endoscopic ultrasound